Friday, March 27, 2009

Eighth Grade -- Final page 4

A new Chinese store had opened on [location withheld]. I loved everything about that store, the decorations, clothing, and especially the jewelry. I thought the bright colors of the clothing were exotic; however, I still yearned to stay in my slightly oversized blue jeans and tee-shirts. So that year for Christmas I asked my parents for a ring from the new shop.

I was really excited on Christmas when I opened the small box and discovered the beautiful ring. It was sterling silver and looked like two Koi fishes swimming in a circle, each head facing an opposite direction. The front was painted sky blue in enamel paint with small Chinese markings. I adored it and wore it constantly. Although I had other rings, this one was unique, and it was a gift from my mother. Yet the preeminent part was, no one else in school had a ring like this; it made me feel special.

Christmas was over and everyone headed back to school. I settled back in with the usual routine, and Bob seemed content to leave me alone, at least in the hallway. There were still the occasional remarks in class, but I just ignored him. I thought everything was over and he realized that I was just going to continue ignoring him. Until one day in the early spring.

I was standing at my locker getting my necessary books for the end of the day. I was standing on my tip-toes reaching towards the top shelf of my locker when I heard Bob’s voice, “Want some help with that?”

“No, I’ve got it.” I replied sheepishly.

“Oh come on, let me help. I’m really not a bad guy. Besides if that book falls on your head I may have to carry you somewhere. I would like that.”

I remembered the conversation earlier in the year with Jennifer in her bedroom, and I knew I didn’t want him carrying me anywhere. Although he could easily, I wasn’t even 90 lbs. “Okay, sure. I need that top book.”

Without hesitation he pulled it down. Smiling he held it close to his chest. “Okay, you want it, you have to take it from me.”

“What?”

“Oh come on blue eyes. I won’t struggle too much.” And he puts his best bad-boy smile on and snickers.

“Bob, please give me my book. I need to get to class.” My voice is soft, and flows with aggravation and whine.

Then it begins to turn ugly, at least for me.

“Wow. Where did you get that ring? Did your boyfriend give it to you? I like it.”

“It was a Christmas gift from my Mom. Now give me my book please.” This time there was desperation in my voice.

“I tell you what, I’ll give you your book if you give me your ring.”

“No Bob. Now give me my book. Now.” I wanted to sound tough, I wanted to sound like I was going to rip his heart out of his chest while I took my book. But I hadn’t quite made it there yet – I was close though.

Then he started taunting me. He held the book to his chest and started moving it side-to-side. “You want the book? Come and get it. Here it is. Just grab it.” He’s laughing, I hear the bell, I look at him, and now I’m mad.

I reach out and grab the book, pulling it towards me with my left hand. He lets the book go, I begin to fall backwards. He catches my right hand, and in the blink of an eye, removes my ring from my finger and leaves.

I stand there in the hallway with the history book in my hand. I hate [name of state withheld] History and that is all that I’m left with. My hand feels naked.








The End

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!

    Okay, great ending. Sorry that happened, though. It's so sad. I think, though, that if you had built up with the ring earlier in the story the ending might have had more impact. Although, now that I'm thinking about it more, you sure did build up the tension with this jerk trying take advantage of you physically... and then to have him steal the ring is a huge shock! I love it. Certainly a great twist.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suz, I am very sorry that happened some people have no sense of shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to come back after thinking about my comment to say all four post were very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shadow, Cat, Lady G., and Marty,

    thank you all so much for your comments!

    i'm still working on the "tense" situation.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. but wait,,, what about your ring? did "the girl" get it back? :)

    ReplyDelete