Friday, March 27, 2009

Eighth Grade -- Continues page 3

“Hey Jennifer, what was Bob doing up here? I’ve never seen him up around your house before.”

“Oh, well he lives up here somewhere,” she said. “Why?”

“Well, he’s in my English class, sits right behind me. He likes to make me feel uncomfortable. I think he gets a rush out of watching my face turn red.” And then I try to laugh, unsuccessfully.

“You know he runs with the same crowd as my sister? He’s been in a lot of trouble. Cutting class and stuff.”

“Well, I know he isn’t always in English class.” Once again laughing unsuccessfully.

“He likes to hang out with the Taylor twins, you know they’re pretty wild – right?”

“Well, I’ve heard stories about their parties. I think one of them was actually smoking pot and drinking at one of their parties while their parents weren’t home, then she and some guy started making-out pretty heavy on the couch in front of everyone. That is until the cops showed up. By the time the cops came, I don’t think she had her bra on.” I paused and took a deep breath sighing, “Well, that’s the rumor I heard anyway.”

“Well according to my sister, that’s not a rumor. It actually happened.”

“Oh.” I turned my head to the side facing the door, as if I’ve just done something wrong. I don’t know why, maybe it was because I felt guilty about being curious. How would it feel to be at one of those parties and to live life on the edge? To get caught living on the edge?

Jennifer continues; I hear the bed moving and pull my upper body and head up to see what she’s doing. She was now lying on her stomach with her feet crossed and in the air. Her chin resting on her arms and her long brown ponytail has fallen to one side.

I instantly realized that some juicy and private news was going to follow. I quickly turned my body around so that I’m sitting up and leaning in. Jennifer has my complete attention.

“Do you know which twin it was and who she was with?” Jennifer is smiling as she whispers the question.

“I heard it was Tina, but I don’t know who she was with.” As I hold my breath during my response, I noticed that my voice was flowing like an ushered in whisper.

Smiling and coaxing me to move in closer, she leaned down and whispered into my ear, “It was Bob!” And began giggling softly.

“Really?!” My face began to turn red. And my thoughts raced, I thought he was interested in me! Why would he stare at me like he does if he wasn’t? Why does he pick on me all the time? I felt humiliated and heart-broken at the same time. My eyes had begun to water.

“Susie, what’s wrong? Did I say something?”

“No, it’s not you. I thought Bob liked me. I mean, he’s always hanging around in the hallway by my locker looking at me. And when he comes to English class he winks at me when he walks by, sometimes he’ll whisper in my ear.”

“What does he say?”

“I don’t know, just silly stuff.”

“What kind of silly stuff?”

“I like the way your jeans fit you today. You look really hot today. You know; silly stuff. It doesn’t mean anything.”

Jennifer looked at me, her brown eyes are no longer laughing. “Susie, I told you he’s bad news. He’s trouble.”

“I know. I knew that the first time he spoke to me as he followed me into English class. Let’s change the subject. There sure are some hot guys in chorus.”

Jennifer resumes her laughter, “Yeah. But there are some really ugly ones too! Can you believe how disgusting Sam looks?”

And with that comment, I had begun laughing too. Sam was pretty ugly. He had not yet had his growing spurt, his face was broken out, and to make matters worse, he had no rhythm and his voice cracked. But he did have something I didn’t have, self-confidence, and despite his awkward appearance, he was truly a nice guy.

We laughed and talked about the normal things girls talk about, boys, and the matter of Bob was forgotten.

I didn’t see much of Bob for a couple of months. I had still not grown into any form of confidence, but at least I didn’t turn into a tomato every time someone talked to me. No, those occasions were saved for being called on in class and the times a boy who I thought was cute took the time to talk to me.

4 comments:

  1. Bob is a plahyaa(player) as my boys would say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another great addition. Keeps getting more interesting. :)

    If you would like help with your tense changes, let me know. Your story is great and well written, but I think the tense shifts you've included (perhaps on accident) may confuse your reader.

    Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. had to go back a day or so, but caught up now. you have a great storywriting ability!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all -- I hope you enjoy the last piece.

    Lady G, I'll rework the tense changes, maybe email you the final draft. thanks again!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete