Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rebirth continues

With the dishes clean, I peel off my yellow skinned gloves. Within moments I hear my younger sister Jill call out to me in her screeching adolescent voice, “Jodie, Jodie, hurry!”

Frantically running out of the house, I slip on the small brown and orange braided rug outside on our painted porch; landing with a thud on my leg. Laughing at myself for being such a klutz, I look up to see Jill waiting impatiently outside the barn. Yelling to her with excitement, “Jill, is it time?”

“Almost! Mom says it won’t be much longer. You know how I thought it was going to be gross? Well, I don’t think that now. It’s going to be just amazing. Hurry, Jodie!” Smiling, Jill scurries into the building.

Quickly picking myself up, I begin running over the dry road as the small dust storm brought on by my leather cowboy boots appears to be chasing me. Turning into the opening, I see our two old and faithful golden retrievers, Ying and Yang, outside Phantom’s stall door. Standing still and alert, watching, like sentries guarding precious cargo.

Walking swiftly down the short, dirt and saw-dust-covered hallway, I stop at the opening of Phantom’s room. I watch Jill standing inside the stall; her thin arms are folding tightly over her undeveloped chest, smiling, while tears stream down her young, freckled face.

Whispering thoughts out-loud, “I can’t believe we’re going to see the birth of our first foal. What a beautiful night. I wish dad were here to share this with us.” Jill looks up at me with her green eyes as a veil of sadness begins to shadow her face; silently, nodding her head in agreement.

Looking down at Phantom, I remember our days together in the show ring. The blue ribbons, the trophies, and the bond we share together as a team – horse and rider. Our bond is one of respect for each other, a respect that I will always treasure.

Now Phantom and I have another bond to share – the birth of her first foal. I can feel goose-bumps forming as the blonde hair on my arms stand to attention and tears slowly drop onto my cheeks. The tears drop one by one, like the cool spring drizzle outside.

1 comment: