Friday, August 28, 2009

The First Show




My memory replays moments of Phantom and I performing in the show ring.

The month was January, Phantom had been my Christmas gift. She was four-years old then, and I had just a few months to gain her confidence. I was only twelve when I first saddled her sleek, black back with a matching English saddle. It only took a few times around the ring. I knew we were the perfect riding team.

In April we made our debut, and as I predicted, we made a striking twosome. Sitting straight back in my saddle, heels pressed down, toes pointed in towards Phantom’s belly, I guided her along the dirt riding ring. Dressed in formal black riding attire, my long blonde hair was pulled back, anchored with a black velvet bow. My tight riding gloves gripped the leather reins with confidence. My body moved up and down to Phantom’s stride in perfect musical rhythm, as we trotted into to my favorite-recorded piece of music, The Entertainer. Although we didn’t win first place that evening, a respectable third and the opportunity to ride again in the Championship the next evening, was a wonderful compromise. We placed second in the Championship.


Jill calls me back from old memories to the birthing of new ones.

“Jodie, isn’t this just unbelievable?”

Her smile and watered eyes bring goose-bumps to my arms.

Mom is stroking Phantom calmly, whispering, “Almost there Phantom. Almost there.”

Once again my mind wanders back, to an earlier time when my father was with us.


2 comments: