Thursday, April 16, 2009

You're Beautiful

because you're classically trained.
I'm ugly because I associate piano wire with strangulation.

You're beautiful because you stop to read the cards in newsagents' windows about lost cats and missing dogs.
I'm ugly because of what I did to that jellyfish with a lolly stick and a big stone.

The above poem is a snippet from Knopf's Poem-A-Day. The writer is Simon Armitage, a popular British poet today.
http://poem-a-day.knopfdoubleday.com/2009/04/15/youre-beautiful-by-simon-armitage/


I thought it would be interesting to try to recreate something similar. I challenge you to do the same.

You're beautiful,

because your eyes emit brightness when you see and feel passion;
I'm ugly because my cynicism controls my vision and passion.

You're beautiful because through your perfectionism, you tolerate my imperfections;
I'm ugly because my imperfections desire to be perfect.

You're beautiful because you'll remove the hair on your face if I ask you to;
I'm ugly becuase I curse you for expecting a home-made breakfast on weekend mornings.


Ugly like I am
Beautiful like he is
Ugly like an impossible Leprechaun
Beautiful like a Persian king.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
As we behold each other.

8 comments:

  1. Well done, Suz. I love you ran, so beautifully. Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the contrast - but isn't there a bit of the ugliness (and beauty) in all of us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. because your words find the mark without aiming you obtain it...
    my two weak sentences unpunctuated fell flatly cold

    hugs to you Suz

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! I love it. :D And great job! I've often copied other authors to see where it would take me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To All, thanks for the positive feedback. I hope you all try it and "post" your efforts ... i'll be lingering about to check up ... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left you a little something on my blog - I heart you!

    ReplyDelete